Happy new year! Let’s set some *reasonable goals for 2021.
hello, you lovely person!
Happy New Year! We did it! We made it to 2021!
To kick off the new year, I wanted to share my goals for you. These are my reading and writing goals and my social media/platform goals. This is a long one, so get ready.
- I am setting my Goodreads goal for this year to 52 books! Last year I tried to be ambitious and read 80 books, but I did not account for what 2020 gave us. I lowered it to 60 books in November and when I was still struggling on New Year’s Eve, I lowered it to 58 books. I still struggled to make 58, so I lowered it to 54 because that was how many books I finished in 2020.
- Only buy the special edition boxes for the books I am confident about, and buy special editions of books that I have read or is part of a series I love. Since I will be starting university in the fall, I want to have as much money to fall back on as possible. I am already struggling to figure out how many books I will be brining with me and how I will store them, so I do not want to make this decision harder. One day, I will have lots of bookshelves. Probably not a wall of bookshelves, but I will have more than one.
- I need to prioritize reading ARCs and finished copies I am gifted from authors or publishers that reach out. This can also go for blog goals, but I need to make sure I focus on reading these and not take too many than I can handle or to take any, just for the opportunity.
- It would be lovely if I can annotate more books on my first read of them. I usually push annotating off for the second or next read through of a book, but I want to annotate on my first read if I have a copy of the book.
- I need to stop setting ridiculous goals for myself. “I’ll read x amount of books within this timeframe…” or “any book read by 4:30 AM today, I will count it as 2020.” I want to start being realistic about these things. Readathons are such a hit or miss for me, because I love the idea of them, but I rarely finish them.
- I am the worst at buddy reading. I usually don’t finish the book or don’t like it. So in 2021, I want to have at least 1 successful buddy read. Just one please! I am part of a Goodreads group where we have group and buddy reads each month, so that’s usually where I try to find partners. But if any of you want to read a book with me, reach out and ask! I want to try to be better at them!
Social Media goals:
- First things first, I want to try to post at least 3 times a week. As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, I am going to be posting “when I want and however much I want” in the next few months. I am going to work on finding my rhythm and groove to hopefully reach a nice manageable pace.
- I want to post more reviews too. I did not post as many as I wanted in 2020, so I am hoping to get more up. I might post journal reviews of books (as inspired by oliviareadsalatte) on my channel, but I’m not active there, so we will see. I have a few planned for January already. I want to post backlist reviews, but also reviews from recent reads.
- It would be amazing if I could purchase a domain and maybe a theme for aless the introvert. I saw on Ity Reads’ blog, she has a Ko-Fi where her followers can help to the purchase of a domain and theme. I thought this was so smart to have another way where your followers can support you. I might use this idea too, but I have not decided yet. (I hope you don’t mind Chasity!)
- I want to try to up my Instagram game. Since the algorithm does not favor anyone anymore, I want to try some new things. Maybe a change in my current theme or figuring out how reels work. I don’t use tik tok, so I have no clue how these work. But the amazing peachyqueencosplay has a m a z i n g reels and I get so much entertainment and inspiration from them. Hey, maybe I should include my face more in my posts too, maybe.
- Um, it would be nice if I made some online friends too. I do not have too many friends to talk about books with (hence why I started all of this) and maybe if I can get any friends out of this thing would be nice too. I don’t know, sometimes it would be nice to sit in discord or something to talk with friends in. I’m not sure because I’m cautious when it comes to making friends. Also, it would be nice to have people to play video games with too, not gonna lie. I made online friends last year, but you know, always try to find friends with different interests too.
- For the last few years, my goal has been to write one first draft of a story. I never achieved that, unfortunately. So, in 2021, I want to write two first drafts. I have a bunch of projects I can work on, but they are in different phases of planning. I want to talk more about my writing, but in short, I write contemporary/romance and fantasy/sci-fi and I have a bunch of stories to choose from. My fantasy and sci-fi stories need work on worldbuilding, so I don’t want to make the same mistakes again and prioritize those without having a world to fall back on.
- Maybe I can start posting on Wattpad again. I have absolutely no idea what I would do on Wattpad. I might post the stories I rewrite, but I’m unsure. WAIT. Can we please talk about how Wattpad has a publishing department and now there is another way for those authors to actually publish their books?!?!?! Ah! It makes me so happy! I haven’t read a Wattpad story in years but I still remember those stories and how much I loved them.
There are life and art goals, I skipped over because this post was getting long and I didn’t want to drag this on for too long. I can do a post dedicated to those, but like most things, I have not decided yet.
It is fun to make fun goals and resolutions for the new year and then for various reasons, we do not follow through with these goals. I wanted to set goals that were more realistic than previous goals I set. These are still a lot, but there are multiple steps to each goal you have. Break them up into achievable pieces until you reach the final destination.
see you soon,
all gifs are from giphy.com